Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Whack song of the day: "Remember Me?"

I was just giving The Marshall Mathers LP a listen after probably a good five years and man, what a great album. My vigorous head nodding, however, came to an abrupt, screeching halt (mid-nod) when "Remember Me?" came on.  My head then remained in a firm, upright position for the next 3 minutes and 40 seconds.



You can just tell this song is gonna be a piece of shit as soon as it starts. The sub par Dr. Dre beat kicks (or rather, limps) in and instantly made me think that my Aftermath Presents... album somehow accidentally started playing.  Once I remembered that I, like the rest of the world, never bought that album, my attention quickly turns to the completely arbitrary sound of spray painting... cool. Dre probably left the mic on while RBX repainted the studio as his payment for being allowed to be on the track.

Then come the verses, and any hope for this song just goes right out the window. As an Eminem song, "Remember Me?" is a kinda funny, ironic title, because he became the biggest thing in rap music a mere two years ago and had remained so since. It's as if the bully that set your hair on fire a week earlier came up to you and said "Remember Me?" Yeah, how could I forget? Maybe Swizz Beatz will follow suit with a track called "Do I Annoy You?".

But, the song title actually begins to pose a serious question when, instead of Eminem, two washed-up, shitty-to-begin-with, substandard rappers get on the mic and make my brain immediately feel like it is bleeding. Never have a couple of rappers combined to sound so broke before. When RBX and Sticky Fingaz ask the question in the song's title, you're kind like "uh, actually... no... I don't remember you", and you are then half-way expecting them to ask for spare change as a follow-up. These are quite possibly the two most forgettable rappers ever, and they do not disappoint here. After first hearing this album, I began skipping this song on every subsequent listening, and promptly forgot about these fools again... until  now. Wait, who was I talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment